Working in a boutique is obviously awesome. I love my job! It’s literally my job to keep up with what’s going on in the giant world of fashion. I get to shop and help pick out clothes that I hope will make women feel like their most beautiful selves. We LOVE trying to find items that our beautiful customers are going to wear to a wedding, on a long-needed date night with their hubby, or to cheer their kids on at a sporting event–and everywhere in between! We get to see so many amazing women from all walks of life and help them find something that makes them feel good. Where I struggle, is hearing women put themselves down on a regular basis. Girls, we are better than this. We are worth far more than we’re giving ourselves credit for!
This realization has inspired me to write a simple post sharing thirty-ish simple, next-to-free ways to improve your mental health. They might not all apply to you, but my hope is that maybe one or two of them inspire you in a new way that brings you joy. These aren’t necessarily meant to be done thirty days in a row. Just choose them as you need them, print off our free printable checklist and keep it where you can see it so you can always feel inspired.
Deep breath; here we go:
- Stop being so self-deprecating. Even if you’re joking. You are doing nothing (NOTHING!) for yourself or anyone around you when you put yourself down even in a light-hearted way. So starting on day one, I’d like you to really stop yourself from doing this. If others are putting themselves down in any way; don’t join in!
- Start a gratitude journal. Pick a time when you’re most likely to remember every day. Jot down at least 3 things that you are thankful for. Even if it’s something as simple as “I’m thankful for my strong cup of coffee this morning.” Happy people are grateful. Period.
- Think about a burden that you are carrying in your life that doesn’t truly belong to you. If you are carrying someone else’s burden that you have no control over, remove it from your shoulders and release it back to its source.
- Affirmation: “Good things are going to happen. The universe is on my side and is sending positive things my way.”
- Declutter. Whether you just need to clear up your work space or go completely “Marie Kondo” on your home. Allow yourself to release items that don’t spark joy for you and give some organization to areas that might need it.
- Drink more water. Your body will thank you for it.
- Start your day early. Use your extra time to exercise, read, complete simple tasks around the home, or get ready slowly. Give yourself a more peaceful beginning to your day.
- Watch a movie or TV show that brings you joy.
- Affirmation: “I have enough.”
- Plan a day where you turn your phone off as soon as you get home…and KEEP it off for the rest of the night. Schedule this into your life if you have to.
- Try cooking a new healthy recipe.
- Call or facetime a friend that you haven’t talked to in a while.
- Allow your hair to air dry and go makeup free all day.
- Read a fiction book that interests you.
- Deep clean a room in your home.
- Write and send a thank you note to someone who has been kind in some way.
- Affirmation: “There is room in this world for me and my competition to be successful. I will not spend my energy worrying about my competition.”
- Take a nap when you feel like you need one.
- Make a list of your accomplishments (big or small) that you are proud of.
- Set a timer for 5 minutes and use the entire time to close your eyes, breathe deeply, and clear your mind. Go even longer if you can!
- Think about something that has caused you sadness and anger that you’ve been having a hard time forgiving. Decide on a time and date in the future at which point you will stop feeling bad about it. Allow yourself to grieve, then consciously let that sadness go on the date you chose.
- Bake cookies. I’ve said it on the blog before, but my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe comes right off the Nestlé Toll House Milk Chocolate Chip bag. It’s super easy! Check it out here.
- Add some greenery to your home. Find a hearty, easy to care for plant, a bouquet of flowers, or even an artificial plant to add a little life to your home. For you local friends, we adore Blossom Town, our hometown floral shop. They’re some of the loveliest people we know and can hook you up with a plant that you’ll actually be able to keep alive! Check out their site here.
- Affirmation: “I am in charge of my own happiness.”
- Create a budget. Maybe you’re financially secure and doing great, but a lot of times the reason we bear so much weight on our shoulders is our financial situation. Start small. Balance your checking account. There are many free resources online for creating a monthly budget to help you see where your money is going and how to change your financial future.
- Call your mom…or your dad, just to chat.
- Make a nice, hearty breakfast for yourself. So many of us run out the door without feeding our bodies that nutrients we need to have a productive day. Coffee isn’t enough!
- Affirmation: “No matter what is in your past, your future is spotless.” Please help me credit the author of this quote if you know who it is, it’s one of my favs!
- Go for a walk outside.
- Go out of your way to show someone kindness. It could be something as simple as giving a compliment.
- Get some exercise. Whether you’re trying to lose weight or you’re perfectly happy where you’re at, exercise is so important for your health and your future!
If you want to get the condensed, FREE Printable of this list, click here—-> Better Mental Health Blog