This week I turned 40. I’m fine with it really…it’s just another day, right? I’ve reflected a bit on the decades of my life recently.
In my 20’s
I was married in my 20’s, that’s a big one. My husband and I were NOT into the kid thing. We traveled EVERYWHERE all across the country, drank pretty Mai Tai’s on the beaches of the Caribbean, went out with friends every weekend and slept in late! We had a BLAST in our 20’s. We also worked hard, saved money and juggled a few different jobs including buying, training and selling horses in addition to working other full time gigs. I graduated college and was ready to bust through the walls in my family’s business. I worked my way through the ranks of our retail business and eventually I led the entire team as the general manager. I THOUGHT I knew it all.
In my 30’s
I discovered I DIDN’T know it all. Whew…starting with kids. Yep, I changed my mind on the kid thing. My 30’s brought me the gifts of my children Mason and Delaney. Suddenly, things that seemed to be SO important previously were now mundane to me. I carried weights in different ways…the most obvious one for most new moms is how to be a good mom AND work. Speaking of work…work changed. I changed. I became a different leader, mainly because I became a mom…but also because my mom and dad retired from the family business and the pressure was completely on me to sail the ship.
Recently, I spoke at a conference (CultivateHer) about this very topic. I told the group of women there about my sadness during this period of my life….my stress, my joy, my confusion and my resolutions to it all. One of the ways I discovered how to be the “new” me was to do more of what I LOVE or what brought me MORE happiness…thus began the evolution of “Laney Lu’s Boutique.” Who knew that by doing more of what you love and are passionate about would also bring you more happiness and success.
So now I’m 40
Hmmmm…what will this decade mean to my life? I have a few ideas in mind of what I’d like to see happen. I do believe in “putting things out there.” I also think that “LUCK favors the PREPARED.” Think about that. People say to me all the time, “Emily, you’re SO lucky!” I do acknowledge that I am very blessed, yes. However, I also think that you need to prepare yourself and make decisions that will ultimately lead you to what you want. SO here goes…here’s my bucket list for the next 10 years in my 40’s!
- Flip one house per year as a side hustle…work it girl!
- Learn to play guitar.
- Relearn playing piano (I took lessons for 7 years and let it go….bad Emily).
- Learn to cook without ANY “Cream of anything” soup! Yucky processed foods.
- Take my kids on a train ride/camping trip to Alaska
- Make sure both my kids graduate high school (with honors preferably)! Say what?! That’s going to happen in this coming decade! Kinda freaks me out to think about it.
- Master the crow pose in Yoga…ummmm, I have a ways to go.
- And while I’m at it…travel to Costa Rica on a Yoga trip with Candice Clemens (okay Candice?)
- Invest more money towards retirement.
- Invest more time in my kids.
- Challenge myself to speak at more engagements about business, women, employment, motivation, etc.
- Go to a Broadway play.
- See a few more of the 7 Natural Wonders of the World (they are Mount Everest, Grand Canyon, Northern Lights, Harbor at Rio de Janeiro, Great Barrier Reef, Paricutin and Victoria Falls). I’ve only checked off 2 (Grand Canyon and Northern Lights)
What’s on your bucket list ladies?! There’s no time like the present, let’s start checking things off! YOLO
There you have it, that’s my last few decades in a nutshell. Thank you God, family and friends for blessing my life the past 40 years.
Cheers to 40 ladies!
xoxox Emily (Laney’s mom)